Are you thinking about remodeling your kitchen soon? Maybe you’ve got the project in the books and are anxiously awaiting demo day. Either way, a kitchen remodel is an exciting undertaking. But as you gear up for the remodeling process, it’s important to arm yourself with the knowledge you need to make the project as smooth and stress-free as possible, including understanding kitchen remodel dos and don’ts.
Top Kitchen Remodel Dos and Don’ts
Your design and renovation team will guide you through the kitchen remodel, but there are certain things you should and shouldn’t do during the process. Following these golden rules will ensure the end result checks all your boxes and transforms your kitchen into exactly what you envision.
Kitchen Remodel Dos
As you give your kitchen a complete makeover, DO the following:
- DO pad your budget for the unexpected: No kitchen remodel goes exactly according to plan. Even with the best contractors or the simplest projects, you will almost always encounter something unexpected once you start opening up walls, rerouting plumbing, or working with electrical components.Unexpected issues in kitchens are usually a result of the many moving parts to the project, with different types of specialists, contractors, and products (often all sold by different companies) coming together within a relatively short amount of time. Items you didn’t plan for will come up, so give your budget some wiggle room for them.
- DO choose a goal and stick to it: What’s the purpose of renovating your kitchen? For example, if you’re hoping to do a kitchen remodel because you plan to move in the future and want to add value to your home, build what the average homebuyer wants to see. If you’re in your forever home and want to do a kitchen renovation that will last for the next twenty years, choose finishes that stand the test of time.Go into this project with a specific goal (or purpose) in mind, and don’t let shiny objects steer you off course. Sticking to your goal will not only make you happier, it’ll also help you stay within your budget.
- DO improve your kitchen’s layout: The layout of a kitchen can mean the difference between an efficiently prepared meal and a holiday family gathering nightmare. If you’re constantly moving from one end of your space to the other to make even simple meals, or there’s no logic to the flow or storage, your kitchen needs a new layout. The right designer can make sure you get everything you want out of your space, even if you can’t increase square footage.
- DO upgrade those outdated cabinets: Some cabinet styles withstand the test of time, and some only need minor TLC every few years to look trendy. But others are either complete eyesores (we’re looking at you, laminate-front 80s cabinets) or made of such horrible materials, they’re not worth saving.New cabinets can totally change the look and feel of your kitchen. They can also improve storage and functionality. Example: If you haven’t experienced the joy of a soft-close door or tidy custom drawer sliders and dividers, it’s time to witness these life-changing innovations for yourself.
Kitchen Remodel Don’ts
Now that you know what to do, keep these DON’TS in mind:
- DON’T keep your kitchen cut off from the rest of the home: Connected kitchens are a trend that most homeowners love. This doesn’t mean that your kitchen, dining room and family room have to be one open space, but it does mean that closed-off kitchens aren’t preferred by the majority. If your kitchen is tucked away behind walls or doors or if you have FOMO during family gatherings, you should open it up.
- DON’T rush the process: The average kitchen remodel for our clients is 9-13 weeks, and our remodels typically don’t start for 12-14 weeks after a contract is signed. Most full kitchen remodels take this long because there are waiting periods between the kitchen layout design, ordering, installation, countertop measurement, and placement. Be strategic with these steps, but be patient. Rushing the process opens the door for mistakes, and you want the end result to be perfect.
- DON’T blow your budget: Some unexpected items that happen during a kitchen remodel are out of your control. But many homeowners overspend by forgetting what they need versus what they want. For example, you may want a pricey porcelain farmhouse sink, but if you need all new wiring and plumbing, you may not have room in your budget for all of the finishes you want.If you’re not sure what you want versus what you need, we strongly recommend talking to a designer first. They’ll be able to help you manage your expectations early on in the process, and thereby help you stay on budget while still getting everything you need plus a whole lot of what you want.
As you get closer to your kitchen renovation, the time to set expectations is now. Plan ahead by understanding these kitchen remodel dos and don’ts. When your project begins and everything comes together as you anticipated, you’ll be glad you did.
Kitchen Remodeling & Renovation in Columbus, Ohio
Dave Fox is an employee-owned company that makes our clients our number one priority. We design and build kitchen remodeling, renovation, and addition projects for our clients in Central Ohio and deliver the best value through exceptional craftsmanship, excellent materials, and ethical business practices. Contact us today to learn more!